LEVEL 1: ENVISION YOUR SHOW
• Discover different types of performance styles to know what inspires you and what YOU want to create for yourself.
• Get inspired by game-changing artists & their live sets to understand what’s been done.
• Set your intentions & goals to set yourself up for success
• Choose your setlist
• Organize your session & time management
LEVEL 2: BUILD YOUR SET
• Session Design
• Developing a sonic arc (What story are you telling?)
• Organize your live set for easy navigation & speed
• Session v. Arrangement View
• Locking in the right settings in Ableton
• What to perform v. What to play back
• Working & programming with stems
LEVEL 3: DESIGN YOUR RIG
• Gear Overview (i.e. laptop, software, audio interface, MIDI interface, instruments)
• Rigs 101 (i.e. Making your set up into a live travel rig)
• Signal flow diagram
• Importance of monitoring (IEMs, stage wedges)
• Choosing Your Tools
• Examples of Rigs
LEVEL 4: PERFORMING WITH INSTRUMENTS & VOCALS
• Discover what kind of virtual, analog, hybrid instruments can be used in your live set
• Prepare a system for live audio and live inputs/outputs/IEMs within Ableton
• Build an output list
• Create a line check
• How to load in proper settings & streamlining latency/CPU
• Routing & processing of vocal / instrument / racks
• MIDI clips v. playing live
• Live Looping (Bonus Mini Module)
ASSIGNMENT: Performance Midterm Due
Record a video of one song in the style of performance you are designing.
LEVEL 5: EFFECTS DISCOVERY
• Hardware vs. Software
• Concepts & topics of FX, Turning FX On/Off
• Software Plugins (Antares Autotune, Harmony Engine, Max for Live)
• Vocal Processing
• Custom effects racks
• Controlled Randomness
• External Audio Effect/Instruments/Hardware
• Program Changes
You’ll get exclusive access to custom racks and more ✨secret sauce✨ in your weekly Resource Package to spark new creativity in your studio and live productions.
LEVEL 6: THE ART OF CONTROLLERISM
• Beyond pressing play
• Choosing the right MIDI controller
• MIDI Mapping (control changes, MPE, OSC)
• Physicality of your performance
• Add emotion to be expressive!
• Musical techniques to grab your audience’s attention
WHAT IS CONTROLLERISM?
It is the art and practice of utilizing musical software and hardware controllers to build on, mix & remix, scratch, effect, modify, or otherwise create music by a live performer, aka the “Controllerist”. It is a nod to traditional musicianship and instrumentalism paired with modern computer sequencing and future forward techniques. We will be exploring the various facets of controllerism and how your controllers can be used as an extension of the self to bring more personal artistry into your live set.
LEVEL 7: BE YOUR OWN TECH
This level is a bit different from the rest. Level 7 is an online module that takes the form of an ever-growing resource guide – designed to provide advice for specific obstacles and problems while out on the road!
The Transmute™ Accelerator Resource Guide is a “how to, a how does it work, a how do I…?” to encourage peer-to-peer problem solving and support beyond the 8 weeks of The Transmute™ Accelerator.
LEVEL 8: PERFORMANCE IN ACTION
Deep dives into specific topics from…
• OBS Live Streaming
• Time Code
• Recording Yourself
• Resolume on 2 computers
• MIDI Merlin
Prepare for your 10-20 minute final performance as a recorded performance or as part of the live-stream experience.
As the final week rolls up, we host a Transmute™ Festival with Transmutants showcasing their projects — supporting one another & celebrating everyone’s transmutations! 🦋